Our Town Comes To Our Town

The Fall Trojan Players theater production Our Town uses the strong acting of veteran cast members, in the absence of extensive props. Running this weekend and next, the play’s direction departs from the traditional productions performed at West, but offers important lessons.

“The play gives us insight to what it means to be human and provides life lessons,” said Wauwatosa West junior Nathan Restyanszki, who narrates the story of Our Town.

The set of Our Town is minimal, using only chairs and tables, and no props. Instead, Our Town draws its strength from the performances of its actors, who have more responsibility to keep the story going. The Trojan players hope these elements will give Our Town a strong kickoff for the 2013-2014 season.

Our Town uses Restyanszki’s narration to tie together the story.

“I am breaking the wall between actors and audience It is unusual it keeps people more focused on the story,”said Restyanszki.

“Being the narrator, I like that I get to tell people what is going on,” said Restyanszki, adding, “there is a difference because I am speaking to the audience.”

Senior Matt Miller said his role in Our Town is a departure from his past experiences in the Trojan Players.

“[In the past,] I was in tech crew and I really liked it,” said Miller. “Going from stage crew to actor, it’s nice to be more involved and not just doing little things.”

Our Town will run at 7:00 p.m. on November 8th, 9th, 15th, and 16th, as well as at 2:00 p.m. on November 10th.

The performance will give students a chance to show off their talents for family and friends.

Our Town, which is 75 years old this year, features a simple set but a large cast. The award-winning play depicts life, love, and death.

“I am very excited to have a large cast this year and can’t wait for the turnout,” said Steffan.

Our Town really helps students develop their theater language and helps students pay attention in rehearsals. Buy your tickets at trojanplayers.com, or call (414)-773-3019. The price is $15 for adults, $12 for senior citizens , $10 for students and Gold Pass holders, and $7 for children ages 10 and under.

For news about Our Town, or about auditions for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat talk to Adam Steffan, or see the call board outside the Theater.

Theater Director Adam Steffan hopes to use Our Town to demonstrate their abilities in preparation for their next project.

“This play hopefully brings many in and shows what we will do for the upcoming production of Joseph and Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” Steffan said.