REAL Pumpkin Pie

Photo Credit – Kathryn Kreuser

Tired of having to use canned pumpkin to make a mediocre pumpkin pie?  Follow this easy recipe and in no time at all and you can look like a master baker in front of your friends and family.

Ingredients:
1 pie pumpkin
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
2 eggs
1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 (12 fluid ounces) can evaporated milk
A food strainer comes in handy but is not required

Directions:
1) Cut the pumpkin in half.  This works best if you remove the top as if you are preparing a pumpkin for a jack-o-lantern.  Remove the seeds and cut the pumpkin halves into smaller chunks.  Bake the chunks at 325 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes or until the pumpkin chunks are tender when poked with a fork.  This is the part where a food strainer comes in handy.  Take the pumpkin chunks and put them through the strainer.  If you don’t have a food strainer you will have to remove the skin from the chunks and mash them in a blender.  Turn the oven up to 450 degrees F.

2) In a large bowl beat and add the eggs, brown sugar, flour, salt, pumpkin pie spice, 2 cups of the pumpkin puree and evaporated milk.

3) Pour the mixture into the pie shell and place a strip of aluminum foil around the crust to prevent burning or over browning.

4)  Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 450 degrees F.  Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 40 to 50 minutes.  The best way to check if your pie is done is to take a toothpick and stick in near the center and if it comes out clean the pie is done.  Remember to remove the tin foil 20 minutes before the pie is done so you can obtain a golden brown crust.