Series Review: Loki Season Two

After the events of season one, Loki (Tom Hiddleston) finds himself in another time dilemma. Now, his mission is to stabilize the timeline to protect the Time Variance Authority (TVA). Season two of Loki ran from October 5th, 2023 to November 9th and featured six episodes that range in length from 45-60 minutes.

Though it may seem confusing to some, I found the plot to be pretty straightforward. Six episodes may have been a little short but I don’t think it hurt the product. If you are looking to watch this series, it does take background knowledge like most Marvel projects which may be a deal-breaker for more casual fans.

Throughout the entirety of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), Loki has come across as an untrustworthy, selfish villain. The ending of season two has now cemented Loki as a fan-favorite character that has fully redeemed himself. Tom Hiddleston’s ability to portray Loki, specifically his emotions, makes the character so much more special. His story came full circle and it makes everything about Loki’s story perfect. 

Tom Hiddleston’s performance was also supported by stellar work from Owen Wilson as Mobius, Sophia Di Martino as Sylvie, and Ke Huy Quan as Ouroboros or “OB”. All the dialogue in the series is deep and meaningful. No scene goes to waste. One of the strongest dialogues in the season is held between Loki and Mobius. It’s a conversation of morality and choice that affects the decision making down the line.

Sadly, it does feel like the series lost a bit of its purpose in the MCU because of the firing of actor Jonathan Majors by Marvel Studios and Disney for legal reasons. Majors played the compelling villain Kang or “He Who Remains” and was slated to reprise the role in Avengers: Kang Dynasty which has now been retitled to Avengers 5. Loki was meant to serve as an introduction to the Kang problem and now there’s uncertainty over what will be done with the character. 

With all this in mind, Loki holds up as being the best Marvel project that has originated from Disney Plus. There’s not much to complain about and every episode is really engaging. Loki has been a franchise character for around 13 years now and this series only strengthens his reputation as a key part of the MCU. On the DrewMeter, season two of Loki is a 4.5/5.