Snake on the Loose: The Search for Moose

On February 7, Phillip Olsen, a science teacher at Tosa East, entered his classroom in the morning only to notice that his classroom pet, Moose, was missing. Moose is a bright orange corn snake that was given to Mr. Olsen by a former student to keep an eye on while she continued her studies at college.

This disappearance sparked rumors around the school, with students speculating that Moose was stolen, or that he is hiding out on the forbidden third floor and could slither into a classroom at any moment. Contrary to these rumors, corn snakes are naturally very curious animals, and Mr. Olsen believes that Moose just went exploring a little too far, “Corn snakes are notorious escape artists and masters at hide and seek”.

Fortunately, with the building still being stuck in cold Wisconsin temperatures, Mr. Olsen has hatched a plan to encourage Moose to come back to his tank. Corn snakes are cold-blooded animals, causing them to be attracted to places where they can keep warm, and he is hoping that the cold weather will entice Moose to return.

“I left his tank open and made three other spots that I check often for him to go to for warmth, cover, and water. I [also] left some thawed mice in his tank to attract him back there.” explained Mr. Olsen.

Corn snakes escaping and eventually returning is not an uncommon situation, “There are lots of stories of corn snakes being found near their tanks or inside them, unfortunately, it’s sometimes weeks, months, or even a year after they escape”.

As the search for Moose continues, Mr. Olsen wants people to know that “Moose is 100% harmless. [He] is a truly unique corn snake and his orange coloring has been unlike any other snake I’ve seen”. Hopefully, his bright orange color will make him easier to spot and aid in his quick return. 

Everyone at East is keeping an eye out for this beloved snake, but none more than Mr. Olsen himself, “I’m hoping this story will have a happy ending and I can get Moose back to his mom”.