The Hunger Games: Living Up to Expectations

Last week a new phenomenon swept the nation: The Hunger Games. It made 19.7 billion dollars on its midnight showing alone, and is unique in that it does not involve vampires, werewolves, or Hogwarts. It is the story of a post-apocalyptic North America divided into 12 districts, where the Capital, or the central government, controls the lives of all the district’s citizens.

The ubiquity of the Capital is reinforced by the Hunger Games, in which children engage in fierce gladiatorial combat.

Through the Hunger Games, the district’s citizens are backed into a frighteningly dark corner, to the point where very few people have the courage to challenge the capital’s horrific rules. We are introduced to the few who have mustered up strength to challenge and outsmart the capital and its sick, cruel games.

When Suzanne Collins wrote The Hunger Games, she had only distant hopes that her book would be as big as it has turned out to be. Little did she know that her books would be a world-wide phenomenon and would be turned into a movie.

As a die-hard Hunger Games fan, I fought my parents’ when they said I couldn’t see the movie at its midnight showing. Although I failed in an epic way, and was forced to settle for the nine-o-clock p.m. showing on Friday, I got there and immediately thought that it was worth my wait.

Having read the books, I was able to notice a few of the changes. One of these was the point of view, which changed from first-person to an over-view of all the characters involved in the games. Also, Katniss’s Mockingjay pin was purchased by her friend Madge in the movie, though in the book it was Katniss herself who bought it. However, all the changes had well-executed logic behind them and only helped clear up any confusion. All in all, the movie barely strayed away from the book and as far as movies go, this one was as faithful to the book as any.

The movie was entertaining and kept me on the edge of my seat, and will probably do the same to you, even if you have read the book. The movie provides comic relief at all the right parts, and uses just enough surprise, the kind where everyone in the theater jumps and gasps with fright. The emotion, characters, and story are all incredibly easy to relate to, and it’s easy to find a way to relate to Katniss. The film’s excellent editing provides not only cohesion, but also shows just enough of the fight scenes and deaths of the multiple contestants to keep it teen-friendly. The acting is class-A, with the actors managing to keep the plot and action real, rather than cheesy or transparent.

The Hunger Games quenched my hunger for a genuinely well-done movie. However, to sate your own hunger, you’ll have to see the movie yourself!