A Special Season for TE Sports

Lucy Hildebrand, Editor

No more team dinners, no spectators at events, no coming close to each other. Despite the obstacles they faced this season with COVID-19, the Tosa East Red Raiders still managed to make the best of it. Social distancing, masks, cancellations, and other pandemic cautionaries had a huge impact on how a normal season would go.  

After a delayed start, the boys varsity cross country team had an amazing season. At their conference meet at Rotary Park, they placed 6th, but as Junior Mason King says “It really just lit a fire to try even harder at subsectionals.” Despite the cold and wet conditions, every single runner on varsity set a personal record at the subsectionals meet. Juniors Arthur Wellenstein and Aidan Matthai advanced to the state meet where Wellenstein placed 20th and Matthair placed 22nd. Not to be outshined, the girls cross team also set lots of personal records. The girls tennis team placed 6th in the Greater Metro Conference, and sent senior Maggie Kasdorf to State. 

The girls JV swim and dive team placed 5th in their conference and the Varsity in 7th. A week before varsity conference, about two thirds of the team had to go into quarantine and couldn’t compete. Junior Maddie Bartz said, “It was a lot to take in at once, and definitely a shock. The feeling that I worked so hard all season just to not be able to swim, was really hard. I think it just shows that we all can’t take what we have for granted, and we need to be extra careful.” They are sent 9 girls, including Bartz, to compete this weekend at their sectionals meet at Waukesha South. Freshman Olivia Small went on to compete at the state meet. 

The three Boy’s Soccer had a good season, but unfortunately did not release any music this year. Junior Owen Gendrich says, “Having a new coach start, and having Covid precautions made it hard to get into a groove this season.” A major game for them was when they tied Marquette HS, who is ranked top 10 in the nation, 0-0. The girls golf team played well, but placed last overall in their conference.  The football team had better luck this year in their new conference and won three games. Congratulations to all of our athletes for competing and persevering through this extra special season.