Wauwatosa Deputy City Manager Encourages Student Participation in 2045 Comprehensive Plan

Deputy City Manager Melissa Weiss visited first hour American Public Policy classes on October 26th to present and discuss the 2045 Wauwatosa Comprehensive Plan and to gather feedback from students about the future of Wauwatosa. “Help us build a Wauwatosa in the future that provides something you’re looking for to have this community have so that hopefully this is the place you would like to live.” said Weiss A comprehensive plan is a vision used to map and plan the city for the next 20 years. The results of the plan will be policies and strategies to achieve these goals. What kind of Wauwatosa do you want to live in? What do you think would improve our city as a place to live, work and go to school? What changes would you like to see in our city? Take the the 2045 Wauwatosa Comprehensive Plan can be found at www.wauwatosa.net

Deputy City Manager Melissa Weiss visited first hour American Public Policy classes on October 26th to present and discuss the 2045 Wauwatosa Comprehensive Plan and to gather feedback from students about the future of Wauwatosa.

“I’m here asking you to participate and help us build a Wauwatosa in the future that provides something you looking to have in this community.” said Deputy City Manager Melissa Weiss

The 2045 Wauwatosa Comprehensive plan will guide future development of the city and is currently being developed by the city and will help the city prioritize its goals and shape its vision. It considers current and future use of housing, economic development, transportation, infrastructure and community facilities like parks, open spaces and natural resources.

A key component of the plan is collecting input from various stakeholders in our community such as business owners, property owners, visitors and citizens.

Although young people make up 16% of the community, less than 1% have taken the survey so far. This is a problem for Weiss.

“We need to hear from you about what would make you choose Wauwatosa, what would make you want to live here? What would make you want to work here, what would make you want to visit here in the future.” said Weiss.

Tosa West senior Messiah Washington believes the city needs to make more places available for students to relax and enjoy the company of their friends.

“Overall it’s a very friendly environment ,very open. But i guess we still want more friendly environments for teens to hang out without being kicked out or being shown away.” said Messiah Washington

Although the curfew at the mall is not set by the city, but the mall operator, Washington sees it as a limit for teens.

“We can’t go to the mall right after school because there is a curfew”

Weiss believes gathering input from young people is very important to developing the 2045 comprehensive plan.

“Your voice probably matters more than some other voices in the community because you’re the future that will be making these decisions and using these roads and open spaces and parks.” said Weiss.

One of the challenges is that many young people do not realize how the government of Wauwatosa affects their everyday life.

Weiss reminded students there are many city services and how they are an important part of their everyday life.

“On your way from home to school today, you touched 10 to 12 different services that the city provides. You may have turned on a tap at your house this morning to help water brush your teeth. The city provides the water. As you left your house that might have been dark and there might have been streetlights on the city provides those street lights the sidewalk and the road that you drive on. Maybe you walked to school and there was a crossing guard that helped you across the street. The city provides that as well.” said Weiss

City government is local government and has an impact on the daily lives of people.

“And so what I love most about city government is that we really help people to live their life.” said Weiss

Weiss said the plan will be used to help the city decide on how it develops over the next 25 years. There are many questions the city considers as it develops.

“How do you think about how cars drive on the road, and are our roads built solely for cars or should we be thinking about how people use them if you’re biking and walking? What small businesses might you like to have within walking distance of your house? Where should larger businesses be in the community? Where should offices be, where should apartments be? And so these are really important questions.” said Weiss

Weiss believes getting feedback from young people of the community by having them take the survey will help, and better the development of the Wauwatosa Comprehensive Plan.

The expense of housing is also a concern for young people. “When people start out after high school they don’t have a lot of money and they need affordable housing in order to live in Wauwatosa. If there are not many apartments and they are harder to get, then people won’t live here.” said Senior Mielat Zeray.

Lots of students want to move out of Wauwatosa when they’re older. Weiss wants to build a community that they will want to stay and live in or even come back to visit for a variety of reasons.

“Help us build a Wauwatosa in the future that provides something you’re looking fo to have this community have so that hopefully this is the place you would like to live.” said Weiss

To share your ideas about what the City of Wauwatosa should look like in 2045 take the survey here

https://wauwatosa-wi-comprehensive-plan-hlplanning.hub.arcgis.com/