Fulda Exchange Students Arrive; Begin Two Week Exchange at Wauwatosa West and East High Schools

FULDA STUDENT ARRIVE- Wauwatosa East and Wauwatosa West students gather in front of Tosa East on October 29th to welcome 20 German high school students from Die Freiherr-Vom-Stein Schule from Fulda, Germany. The German students hosted the Wauwatosa students for 2 weeks last summer. Now on their return visit the students will be staying with Wauwatosa West and East host students for the next two weeks. Fourteen students will be attending Wauwatosa East, and the remaining six are attending Wauwatosa West. “They will experience what American homes look like, home-cooked meals, and they will experience the educational opportunities that our school offers.” Said west german teacher Christiane Schulte.

Twenty German high school students from Die Freiherr-Vom-Stein Schule from Fulda, Germany arrived in Wauwatosa on Sunday, October 29th. The students will be staying with Wauwatosa host students for the next two weeks, attending classes and touring the area. Fourteen students will be attending Wauwatosa East, and the remaining six are attending Wauwatosa West.

“We have a very ambitious program put together for our German students to experience cultural highlights and political institutions in our community and South-Eastern Wisconsin.”said West German Teacher Christiane Schulte.

The students are participating in the GAPP (German American Partnership Program) which has helped high schools in the United States establish exchange programs since 1972.

A key component of the exchange is students staying with host families in Wauwatosa and Fulda.

“They will experience what American homes look like, home-cooked meals, and they will experience the educational opportunities that our school offers.” Said west german teacher Christiane Schulte.

Wauwatosa West students that are hosting got the opportunity to spend three weeks in Germany last summer. The Wauwatosa students learned about German history while exploring the diverse landscape and cities of western Germany.

“It’s a really cool opportunity, and I learned a lot from going there,” said Senior Molly Frost. “I learned a ton about German culture and life in Germany.” Said senior Molly Frost. “ I think I also got a lot better at speaking German.”

German students spent the first week of their exchange visiting the village of Wauwatosa, learning about local city government and meeting with the mayor of Wauwatosa. Wauwatosa host students and Fulda students also visited the state capitol in Madison, Wisconsin.

“I really liked seeing all the Halloween decorations. They don’t celebrate things like this in Germany and I think it was really cool to experience that.” Said German student Lara-Marie Peter.

Next week German students have created a variety of presentations about German culture and will meet with students at Longfellow and Whitman Middle Schools. They will also present in high school courses.

“We are talking about German traditions like oktoberfest and carnival and informing everyone of what goes on in those traditions.” said Peter

The exchange program has opened up new opportunities and perspectives for all participating students.

“I think it’s my chance to go to America, and I don’t know if I will get the chance again” said German student Lina Langgut