Q&A With Mr. Hughes

What is your favorite food?

I would say breakfast tacos from Crankies (Cranky Al’s). Bacon breakfast tacos. Phenomenal.

What is your favorite condiment?

Ketchup all day. On top of French fries. No (specific brand). Sometimes you just got to scavenge for what’s available at school.

What did you think you wanted your profession to be when you were in high school?

Honestly, I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I just knew that I did not want to be a farmer like my grandfather and my father. That pushed me to try a lot of different things in school from being in a school play, to athletics and student council. I had no idea. I did like life guarding, I taught swim lessons. I worked at Fleet Farm. So I did a lot of things. I just didn’t know what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to go to college, but initially I was an accounting major. Then I switched to a math major and then that switch to a social studies major. That’s how I left college as a social studies teacher.

So when did you realize that you wanted to become an educator?

I had a really good business teacher, so I thought I would do accounting. Then I watched all my friends who were… really struggling in Accounting 201 and it scared me, it was a weeder course. So I never really took an accounting class in college. I was good at math. So I took math. What I was not good at was going to Friday morning, 8:00am lectures. The department chair said that since I wasn’t a regular (attendee) that maybe I should think of a different major.

Where did you go to college?

UW Eau Claire. I got a BS in Education Broadfield Social Studies. Then in 2000 I finished my degree at Marian in Educational Leadership.

What is your favorite restaurant in Wauwatosa?

Cosmos. They’re an East family… but their Greek Fries and the Greek Chicken Pita. Oh my goodness. Great comfort food.

Favorite type of music?

I’m a product of the 80s, that kind of rock, like Metallica. That type of, not heavy metal, but good old fashioned rock.

What movie(s) can you watch on repeat?

I could probably watch the Fast and Furious series all the time.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

I’d say go to Rome. I went with the marching band as a chaperone a couple of years ago. As a history teacher like just the significance of going to the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel. Standing there looking around…was just so amazing. (The Coliseum) is a backdrop for my computer right now.

Who inspires you the most?

Somebody who really helped me goes all the way back to middle school. He was my Phy Ed teacher and football coach, Mr. Brunette. At that time I was coming into 6th grade, still trying to figure out post family divorce, moving to a new town, and trying to find my way. He forced me into Student Council and forced me to become a leader in Student Council. I had him for seven years between middle school and high school as a teacher or a coach. (He) really helped to fill in some of the support that I needed. He really helped me get through some hard times and figure some things out.

What is your favorite T.V. show?

I like to binge crime things so I would say the whole Chicago series, Fire and PD. I could watch NCIS off the chain as well. I wanted to be a police officer back in the day, but I could watch those crime dramas all the time.

What is the first thing you do when you get home from a work day?

Make sure the cats are fed. We have two cats, one black and one grey. Steve is my wife’s cat and Izzy is mine. She’s my girl. I’m the only one she comes to sit on and she will come nuzzle me on my computer when she wants attention.

What is one junk food that you cannot resist?

Pringles or Slim Jims. I got those up in the closet already. My East team sent me with some snacks when I left.

What is your favorite fast food resturant?

Qdoba. Ethan my son is Qdoba, my daughter is Chipotle all the way. For me it’s proximity to when I’m at school and Qdoba’s right in the village.