Stranger in a Strange Land

The prospect of transferring schools is something that would faze just about anybody, but for three Tosa West students, adjusting to a new school is going quite well.

According to West Associate Principal Matt Byers, for the 2013-2014 school year there are between 35 and 40 transfer students at West. Transfer students have come in at the whole range of grade levels, from sophomore to seniors, and from all over the country, but the experience of starting a new school can have its ups and downs.

“You expect your friends to be the same,” said Madison Houchin, a senior from Bay Village, Ohio. “It’s just weird not having the same type of people everywhere — you can’t make awkward inside jokes yet,”

For many students, the hardest thing about being a transfer student revolves around things like finding new friends, getting used to new rules, and making your own way.

“Everyone [at a new school] already has their friends,” said Houchin, “[but] as a freshman you’re expecting to be meeting new people.” According to Houchin, being a transfer is much harder than being a freshman.

Despite these hardships, the students are acclimating very well, and are a very good group this year, said Byers. Rachel Campise, a junior foreign exchange student from Germany, said that she liked school better at West, and felt much more a part of the community because of West’s teachers and students.

“This school is in general better than mine,” said Campise. “It’s more fun. I enjoy going to school here… The teachers here are really nice, they talk with the students like they are friends,” said Campise.

“They care about the students a lot more here,” Houchin said.

Lazaria Gulbranson, a sophomore who had previously attended Grand Junction High School in Colorado, said that West’s atmosphere was more welcoming than her previous school’s.
“They make you feel at home here,” said Gulbranson.

These students feel that the new year at West is going well, but it will take time before they feel like a full part of the community. In the meantime, they plan to just keep heading forward.

“Go with the flow, cause things, things eventually fall in place,” advised Gulbranson.

For now, the students plan on keeping focused on their studies, making friends, and having fun in the upcoming school year.