Young Tosa Artists at Young People’s Art Exhibit

Photographer: Tiffany Pascesni

Four Wauwatosa West students are among twelve Wauwatosa School District students whose art will be featured in the Young People’s Art Exhibit at the Wisconsin State Fair in August. The Young People’s Art Exhibit received 460 entries and 30 Wisconsin high school students received a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place ribbons.

Although the awards are appreciated, for some West students winning is secondary to the artistic process. “I can express myself through my drawing and designs. If I have something on my mind I can just put it down and design it,” said West Junior Patricia Bermema. West Junior Colin Ek agreed. “It relaxes me. I like putting my creative thoughts on paper.” he added.

The exhibit was only open to students from 6th through 12th grade and currently enrolled in any Wisconsin school. Entries could be a painting, drawing, computer generated, printmaking, design, sculpture, craft (fabric or jewelry), photography and ceramic. Instructors were limited to only entering six pieces of artwork and one special education piece.

The four Junior winners at West include Cheyanne Green winning the Utrecht Art Award, Tiffany Pascezney who won first place for a mixed media drawing, Patricia Bermema won second place for fashion design, and Colin Ek winning third place for a textile design.

Whitman Middle School winners include Eighth grader, Richard Sear and Seventh grader Christopher Schickel. Sear won the poster award. Sear will receive a ribbon, a cash award and his painting will also be used as the Young People’s Art Exhibit poster in 2014. Schickel placed first in oil pastel. Longfellow Middle School winners include Eighth grader, Beatrix Leach and Seventh grader Elizabeth Larson. Leach won first place for graphite drawing. Larson placed third for her mixed media piece.