Lots of Locks of Love

For the last five years Wauwatosa West has helped to fulfill Locks of Love’s mission “to return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children.”

Hailey Roser, age 5, will be receiving the money raised from this year’s Locks of Love.  Those organizing the event are still checking to see if her family and she will be able to attend the event.

West students, Emily Katula, Maggie Boyle, and Laura Carlson, are in charge of organizing this year’s event.  “It will take place in the auditorium in front of the whole school like last year,” said Boyle. It will occur on January 11th.

For the last five years the Paul Mitchell Salon has cut the hair, and this year will be no different.

Dialogue between the three leaders began in September to sort out plans.  The date had to be coordinated with Principal Frank Calarco and the salon in October.

Boyle began her involvement in Locks of Love during fourth grade when she made her first donation.  “I heard about it from my teacher, and I had super long hair then,” said Boyle.

This is their first year running Locks of Love.  “The girls from last year were seniors, so they passed it down to us,” Carlson said, “It’s a good cause, and I got my hair cut last year so I thought I might as well participate this way this year.”
“It is going to take more work as we get closer,” said Carlson.

Katula said that they had to design t-shirts, choose posters, choose a date, organize bake sales to raise money, and come up with this year’s presentation for which they are planning a video.
“Each year there are usually thirty to forty people,” said Boyle, which is enough to create about four wigs.  There were twenty people signed up as of December 9th, but many people decide to donate last minute.

People decide to donate for many reasons.  Donations are often made because people believe it is a good cause and/or just need a change.
Susie Shively, a senior, said, “It’s my senior year, and I have a lot of hair.  Plus, it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.”

Shively has wanted to donate since her sister donated several years ago, but was nervous to.  She has been growing her hair since sophomore year for this purpose.

Gina Richter, a senior who donated last year, said, “I decided it was time for a change.”

Shively is not at all nervous to donate anymore.  She said, “I’m really excited.  My hair has gotten to the point where it is uncontrollable.”

Richter described her experience, and said, “It felt crazy because people were watching.  There was this weird high of all sorts of emotions.”

Although some people are nervous to have their hair cut in front of so many people, Shively believes it is good to have it in front of the school.  She said, “It’s a big deal, and it motivates people.”
“It’s a new year, so get a new haircut and help out,” Carlson said.