Q&A with Boys’ Tennis

What should we be watching for this season?
I’m excited for this upcoming season. We have a good number of returning players from last season with a lot of varsity experience. I think we’re going to especially strong with our doubles play and I’m anxious to see what our singles players can do. I know many of the players played a lot during the off season, which will help them begin the season ready to play at a high level.

What will it take to get the “win”?
We have to have consistent play from our whole line up. Last season, only certain spots stepped up and got us victories. This season, I’m expecting solid and consistent play from everyone. If we can do that, we should have a successful season.

What are you as a coach working on?
As a coach, you always work on how you can become a better communicator and how to get your players to buy into your system. For this season, I want to make some adjustments to our practices more challenging and enjoyable. We’re going to have a lot of competition, so implementing new drills to improve our match play will be an important aspect in our practices.

Do you have a prediction concerning this season?
As a coach, I don’t like to make predictions, nor is it appropriate to make predictions. I’m confident that our team will have a very successful season and we’ll definitely improve on last season’s record. It will be a fun season!

What is your biggest fear concerning the team/season?
I have no fear with our team or the season. I am confident in our abilities and it will show when we walk on the tennis courts. I always tell my players that our play and behavior represent Wauwatosa West. We will always show good play and good sportsmanship

Do you have any pre-match pump up rituals planned?
If you cannot be pumped up to play a match, then you shouldn’t be playing tennis. I leave any rituals to the players. They may have some things that help them get ready for a match…I shouldn’t have to help them get ready to play a match.

Who or what do you see as the team’s biggest threat this season?
Year in and year out, Greendale is usually to beat each season and I don’t see it being any different this year. I think we can play with anyone in our conference.