Locks of Love at West

Locks of Love is an organization through which students can donate hair to children with long-term hair loss. Here at West, we have our own group, led by students Jenna Engel and Taylor Keaton. Last Friday, January 27th, at 8 A. M., they held an event for people to donate hair.

The hair was donated to those with alopecia, or a loss of hair. Engel explained, “last year, a boy from our school . . . had alopecia, so the cause is extremely meaningful.”

Locks of Love also helps students become involved. Engel believes that the program brings out participants’ leadership skills and helps them be part of the community and assist a laudable endeavor.

The program has been running at West for several years. Engel’s sister started it at West. However, Engel explained that the events are also always changing. “Last year was a huge leap for us because . . . we got it to be an assembly. . . . That was a very big deal for us.” Now, another large change has been instituted. “. . . . This year, we decided to change the cause. Instead of donating the hair to alopecia patients, we are doing it for cancer patients, so all of the hair that is cut is going to be donated to the American Cancer Society.”

In order for hair to fit the donation requirements, it had to be at least ten inches and unbleached. While some participants had been nervous about having such short hair after being accustomed to longer hair, overall, the general consensus seems to be that sacrifice was more than worth it. Donor Katie Adams summed it up: “I donated my hair because someone else needs it more than I do. I am so thankful to be healthy and the least I can do is donate my hair to help brighten someone’s day.”

Engel believes that Locks of Love is a worthy and admirable effort not only for its capacity to bring cancer victims happiness, but also for its ability to reveal the best in us. “It really shows a lot about Tosa West and it shows a lot about . . . how kids are mature enough to make these kind of decisions . . . cutting off eight inches of their hair for a girl might be a big deal, but they realize that it’s a bigger deal for the cancer patient to have that hair.”

[smugmug url=”http://tosawestsidestories.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=21373165_662zck&format=rss200″ imagecount=”100″ start=”1″ num=”100″ thumbsize=”Th” link=”lightbox” captions=”false” sort=”true” window=”false” smugmug=”false” size=”M”]