Locks of Love – Gallery

Wauwatosa West held their annual Locks of Love assembly on Wednesday, February 14th, Valentine’s day. Locks of Love is a nonprofit that turns donated hair into wigs for children with hair loss.

“The hour before [my hair was cut] I was shaking in my accounting class, I was so nervous,” says Senior Lilly Kiracofe, who donated 11 inches of hair and who has donated hair twice before. “I’ve had long hair ever since I cut it in seventh grade, and I’ve grown really attached to it. So I was so scared to cut it off. Because I didn’t know how my hair would look, if it would make me look ugly. I don’t know. But after I cut it off, it felt so freeing. I could feel the breeze on my neck. I haven’t felt that in so long. But I really liked it and it felt genuinely freeing – I almost started crying because I just felt so many positive emotions.”

Although getting so much hair cut is nervewracking, participants have positive experiences. 

“It’s for a good cause. And I was getting sick of having long hair so I was really excited to have something new,” says Senior Claire Guttormson, who donated 11 inches of hair. “I love it. It feels lighter. It feels like a new me.”