New Staff Feature: Mrs. Wesley

Interview with Mrs. Wesley

Three administrative staff members took a leave from Tosa East after the previous school year. Because of this, many students have been wondering who has taken on the roles. One of them, Mrs. Wesley, is the new dean of students.

How would you describe your everyday duties at Tosa East?

Oh man, there’s a lot of things that I feel like I do here at East. I do a lot of trying to get students to class during the passing period and trying to get students not to have tardies. I also deal with a lot of student issues or concerns that come up, if there are any peer-to-peer conflicts I will sometimes sit with Ms. Lamers-Hernandez and we’ll do some mediation with students or even take disciplinary actions for certain situations that come up. Each day is really different and I feel like I’m constantly moving and getting a lot of steps in throughout the day.

What made you want to go into the education profession?

I started my career as a school social worker in the West Allis/West Milwaukee School District and transitioned from that role into a social-emotional learning specialist at the School District of South Milwaukee. After having all of these different leadership opportunities, I realized that I wanted to be in principal or a dean of students type of role. I feel like leadership roles take a specific skill set and the ability to manage as well as be involved in bigger types of issues. Being organized is kind of a skill set that I like having, and I want to be able to use that skill to benefit a larger community.

What are the most memorable moments you have had within your career so far?

I love building relationships with students, getting to know them and their families, being able to see those students out in the community, and being able to make connections. I really, really enjoy getting to build relationships.

What is your favorite part about working at East?

I like that there’s like a certain type of culture within this building, and I appreciate that it’s known throughout the Tosa community. It’s like, if you’re talking about Tosa East, it’s a cool thing. I like some of the traditions I’ve gotten to experience so far, like the parade and homecoming. I also think it’s really cool where Tosa East is located, very close to the Village. I like that it’s connected to the community and people get excited about Tosa East.

Is there anything you see at East that you would like to change?

DoorDash. I feel like DoorDash has been an interesting transition for me to see. Everybody wants to get DoorDash. It also causes more people to be tardy. Both DoorDash and tardies are what I’m trying to figure out at the moment.

Do you have a goal or motto that you go by during work?

Always work hard and have fun. I feel like I try to work hard every day, come to work with a positive attitude, and just be happy. I try to laugh things off that might not have gone my way. For me, sometimes I deal with really hard situations, and so being able to laugh about it later is important.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I enjoy watching sports, going to Bucks games, and doing home projects. I feel like I find a lot of happiness through home decorating and doing that sort of thing. I also enjoy playing sports and working out, that sort of thing.