West Attendance Initiative Day Held November 20th

The first ever “incentive day” will be held following 7th hour on Tuesday, November 20th. The 55 minute long period is a reward for students who have fewer than 9 tardies, 3 unexcused absences, and no major behavioral referrals over the course of the semester.

Students preregistered for 26 different activities designed and hosted by teachers and staff members. Some of these activities include board games, cookie decorating, trivia, bracelet making, sports, video games, and lots more. 

The staff at Tosa West wanted to find a way to better the attendance numbers, so what better way to reward these students than spending the last hour of the day doing fun activities. 

“Our attendance behaviors here at West haven’t been the greatest so we want to really start working on improving that and part of that improvement is making sure that we’re celebrating all the students who are doing the right thing,” said the Dean of Students, Kaci Smith. 

Some students are not as enthusiastic. 

“I think it is so stupid because it’s a waste of time and I would rather be at home,” said Sophomore Genevieve Gallion.

Administrators have been monitoring attendance and tardies since the beginning of the year and have created a number of responses to high number of absences and tardies. Students with 5 or more tardies have received mailed letters and open campus privileges have been removed for students with excessive absences and tardies.

“I hope that it motivates students to want to have good attendance and realize that by doing the right thing and being where you’re supposed to be, and on time, good things are gonna come your way,” said Smith. 

On the other hand some students also have conflicted feelings and aren’t sure what to be expecting. 

“I think that there could have been better ideas, but I still think it’ll be fun to hang out with your friends and not have to worry about school for an extra hour before break,” said sophomore Mary Ellen Millenbach.