Wauwatosa School Board Approves Shift to Full In-Person Instruction Starting Apr. 5

Wauwatosa School Board members met in a hybrid meeting with some members participating in-person and others connecting via the video conferencing platform Zoom on Jan. 25, 2021.

Sara Stanislawski, Editor

The Wauwatosa School Board approved a shift for Phased into Learning students in grades 6-12 to 5 days per week in-person learning starting Monday, Apr. 5, 2021 in a 7-0 vote at the board meeting on Jan. 25, 2021. 

The original motion for the meeting recommended the board approve the shift starting on Feb. 2, 2021 with students not having school on Jan. 29 and Feb. 1 to allow staff workdays to prepare for the transition. Board Member Shawn Rolland motioned the amendment to push back the start date to Apr. 5 and all board members eventually voted in support at approximately 1:45 a.m. on Jan. 26.

Prior to the approval, Board Vice President Leigh Anne Fraley motioned to amend the amendment to an earlier start date of Mar. 8, but the board did not approve the amended amendment after a 3-4 vote. 

The start of full in-person learning Apr. 5 corresponds with the beginning of the fourth quarter the week following spring break. Tosa Connected students will also start 5 day synchronous instruction on Apr. 5. Concurrent learning will continue until the start of full in-person learning. 

The decision came after a presentation by members of the Medical/Public Health Advisory Committee, extensive discussion by the board, and community comment from students, families, and staff.  

The Public Health/Medical Advisory Committee did not recommend for or against a move to 5 day in-person at their panel meeting on Jan. 21, however, Superintendent Dr. Phillip Ertl recommended the shift. 

“They came out of the last meeting without a recommendation to move forward and without a recommendation to not move forward,” Ertl said during the meeting on Jan. 26. “It is an administrative recommendation and ultimately my recommendation that we do move to five days a week in-person instruction.”

Board members expressed concerns over not having enough time to prepare for the shift to full in-person with the original Feb. 2 start date. 

A recording of the meeting will be accessible on the district YouTube channel.