The Tosa Compass Statement of Purpose

THE TOSA COMPASS: A STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE TOSA COMPASS? WHY DOES IT EXIST?

The Tosa Compass is a student run community news organization that seeks to cover stories of collective importance and act as an example of responsible discourse with an emphasis on the perspective of students.

The journalism staffs from both Wauwatosa East and West High Schools have combined to deepen coverage on stories of interest, provide a wider forum to amplify student work and service the community by supplying relevant news. 

The Tosa Compass editorial leadership staff will regularly work with faculty advisors and each other to set publication goals, identify coverage areas and distribute assignments to writing staff.

The Tosa Compass is an educational tool that seeks to develop student critical thinking and communication skills by teaching students how to identify, tell and publish student centered school and community news using traditional and modern storytelling techniques.  

WHO IS OUR AUDIENCE?

Our audience includes students, parents and community members and our content, areas of coverage and reporting style will reflect the interests of that broad demographic. 

We aim to provide unbiased news, with the exception of opinion pieces, that is relevant to all of our readers and followers.

WHY SHOULD THE VOICE OF YOUNG PEOPLE MATTER TO THE COMMUNITY? 

The student journalists whose voices, experiences and opinions are showcased on The Tosa Compass’ numerous platforms offer a unique perspective to the Tosa community. Usually, the voices you hear in the media are all adults. We report to our community the narratives of our peers, which are of tremendous importance as they are indicators of the health, wellbeing and future of our community. 

The Tosa Compass is an outlet through which members of the community can better understand the issues that are of relevance to students.

As young people we have a different perspective on our school, local and global community. Looking at our community from this viewpoint generates different and unique story ideas.  

We consider ourselves to be leaders in our community and have important opinions and perspectives that deserve to be covered, discussed and listened to by a wider audience. 

HOW WILL THE TOSA COMPASS CONTRIBUTE TO THE COMMUNITY?

We spend our days in the school environment and telling stories about the lives of the people in our buildings is important. We will tell the stories of the young people and adults in our schools who are having an impact on the school and learning environment.  

We will work closely with school and school district administration to understand, examine and question school and school district policies and their impact on students. We will provide analysis and opinion about school issues. Student leaders of the journalism program will provide opinions, thoughts and leadership about issues facing our community.

We also understand the world does not stop at the doors to the school. Many of the issues, problems, and conflicts in our community have a deep impact on many of the students attending our schools.  We will provide clarity and context to the issues and conflicts in our community while also showing humility and community through human interest stories.  

WHAT ARE OUR PUBLISHING GUIDELINES?

All non-opinion content will be free from bias and objectively inform the reader. All content will be factually accurate. 

The Tosa Compass has been established as a designated public forum for student editors to educate and inform their readers of issues of concern to their audience. Our publication will not be reviewed or restrained by school officials prior to publication or distribution. Advisers may – and will – coach and discuss content during the writing process, however, the editorial board will make all decisions of content.

Because school officials do not engage in prior review, and the content of The Tosa Compass is determined by, and reflects only the views of, the student staff and not school officials or the school itself; its student Editorial Board and responsible student staff members assume complete legal and financial liability for the content of the publication.

Information submitted by all members of the 2020-2021 leadership team.  Responses edited for clarity by Vivienne Anderson and Lucy Hildebrandt