Getting in the Christmas Spirit Too Early?

Editorial cartoon by Randy Bish

Article by Alexis Szuta, Editorial Cartoon by Randy Bish

As Halloween ends on October 31st, and November comes around the next morning, we find ourselves walking into a winter wonderland rather than turkeys and pumpkin pie. Wherever we go, businesses seem to be decorating for Christmas a month in advance.

Students at Tosa West were asked what Thanksgiving meant to them.

“I get to spend time with my family, and be thankful for all the things that I have”, said senior Chuck Barthel.

Senior Brandon Eckoldt expressed what Thanksgiving means to him.

“Thanksgiving is a time for family, and being thankful for what you have in life, as well as, giving back to others in your community”, said senior Brandon Eckoldt.

Senior Sam Stacey gave his view.

“I love spending time with my family, and eating lots of food. Thanksgiving just really brings us all together”, said senior Sam Stacey.

Students were then asked to give their standpoint on businesses decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving.

“I find it excessive. People are trying to force a holiday on you. They have more than enough time to decorate before Christmas”, said Sam Stacey.  

“It’s stupid, and it’s very idiotic. There’s no point for it, because it’s not Christmas; it’s Thanksgiving”, said junior Zach Linden.

Senior Jacob Klippel had a very similar approach.

“It’s jank. It’s too soon. It’s not Christmas season, December is Christmas season”, said senior Jacob Klippel.

Senior Chuck Barthel gave an interesting approach to the idea.

“It’s like they’re skipping over a major national holiday, with one that is completely religious based. That’s not fair, because everyone doesn’t celebrate Christmas”, said senior Chuck Barthel.

Senior Scott Pasbrig felt slightly different about the idea of decorating too early.

“It’s really whatever makes them happy. I’m not gonna buy Christmas stuff early, anyways”, said senior Scott Pasbrig.

Senior Brandon Eckoldt works at Maggiano’s on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. He gave his insight on decorating before Christmas.

“We do it at Maggiano’s where I work. We have to put large wreaths, menorahs, presents, fake snow, lights. I enjoy decorating my workplace, but I think it could have waited until after Thanksgiving”, said senior Brandon Eckoldt.

Senior Sydney Bolton works at Target and also has to decorate for Christmas in November.

“I don’t see a huge problem with it. Thanksgiving is a shorter holiday, so it’s better to decorate in advance than last minute”, said senior Sydney Bolton.

Senior Nathan Mowbray works at Subway and decorates after Christmas.

“Our manger only decorates before the actual holiday. I know some stores have their Christmas decorations out during Halloween. But we’re different. We believe in experiencing each holiday as it comes”, said senior Nathan Mowbray.

Decorating before Thanksgiving seems to bring different reactions among students at Tosa West.