Spring at West

Spring? In Wisconsin?

Is spring ever going to come? With cold temperatures that never seem to end, a lot of people in Wisconsin are asking themselves this exact question. It seems like winter will never end – is this true – or is it just our imagination?

It’s not your imagination – we are having a long winter.

According to Dr. Edward Hopkins, a climatologist at the Wisconsin State Climatology Office, “. . . Milwaukee and Madison have had a start to astronomical Spring (20 March 2011) which is the coolest in the past 15 years, and 6th coolest in the past 31 years.”

On Friday, May 6th, the temperature rose to a whopping high of 65 degrees and Wauwatosa West students and faculty jumped at the opportunity to get outside.

The courtyard was open for students for lunch and students loved this because it gave them the opportunity to get some fresh air and let out some of their energy before heading back to class.

Susie Shively, a Sophomore at Tosa West, had a reaction that summed up what the majority of the kids were feeling. “I am SO happy that Spring is finally here. I’m tired of winter.”

Students also were questioning why the court yard was not open more often. Most students love to eat outside. It gives students the ability to let out their energy, which in return allows them to focus better in the classroom.

Nick Freitas, freshman at Tosa West, said he thinks the court yard should be open more often because “we [students] could enjoy our lunch[es] more by eating outside and it would create more space in the lunch room.”

Now the only question left standing is – when will summer finally arrive?

Reporter: Amanda Holmer
Photographer: Shiloh Wheeler