Tech Crew Makes Musical Sing

The Spring Musical ¨Anything Goes¨ will hit the Wauwatosa West stage on April 20 but what many people do not know or see is the tech crew behind the scenes.

Over 30 students from all grades participate in tech crew students provide a wide range of support for the show. New tech crew members do props. Advanced students run the light boards, sound etc.

¨I think that the arts at Tosa West are very important. It is something different that lots of people can get involved in, there is a little something for everyone.¨ said Maddie Bishop, a freshman on tech.

All of tech is run by the Technical Director Dale Shively who has worked at Tosa West for 5 years. He had two kids who graduated from Tosa West and he also runs a theater at MATC. He teaches students how to use tools and how to build sets safely.

¨I have been involved in theater since high school. I love working with young people and teaching them how to use their imagination and create things out of nothing.¨ said Dale Shively

Tech is a learning experience open to all types of people. Students of all ages come together and set their minds on a common goal.

¨I like that Tech is kind of like a team. It is a whole team effort that you accomplish together and by the time you get done all you can say is, wow.¨ said Sophomore Aaliyah DeBow

There are many different things that you can be involved in when doing tech. You get to decide what you want to do and what interests you the most.

¨There are four main parts to tech.¨ Said Freshman on tech Evie Perkins. ¨There is run crew who are the people that bring things on and off. There is sound where we have a professional who comes and helps the students. There is three people that work with lights and focus on spotlights, and then there is fly rail, which is what I do.¨

There are many pieces that bring tech together and make it perfect for the show before the actors and actresses even come on the stage. When you are watching ¨Anything Goes¨ remember all of the unseen people that better the performance in every way.

Freshman Maddie Bishop says ¨I have learned new things and how to build things and have made lots of friends working at a common goals to create a something bigger that anyone could have created on our own.¨

Tickets can be reserved at www.trojanplayers.com

Anything Goes show times are as follows.

• Friday, April 20 at 7:00PM
  • Saturday, April 21 at 7:00PM
  • Sunday, April 22 at 2:00 PM
  • Thursday, April 26 at 7:00PM
  • Friday, April 27 at 7:00PM
  • Saturday, April 28 at 7:00PM