FBLA Run Trojan Corner Store Succeeds First Year In Business

Marcello+Luna

Sara Stanislawski

Freshman Marcello Luna sells snacks at the FBLA store.

The Trojan Corner Store selling supplies, food, and beverages is prospering its first year in business and FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) is benefiting greatly from it.

The FBLA school store is open mornings 7:30 to 7:50 a.m and after school 3:15 to 3:45 p.m or 2:15 to 2:45 p.m Wednesdays in the Trojan Room. Sales are averaging at $250 plus per week with half being profit. Prices range from $.25 pens to $12 FBLA shirts. The profit is returning to FBLA using it to pay for field trips, competitions, and various business experiences.

“If we didn’t have the store this money would come out of pocket and a lot of people wouldn’t be able to afford that,” Trojan Corner Store manager and scheduler Alana Luebke said.

Currently profits are mainly being used to cover expenses for FBLA students competing at the State Leadership Conference in La Crosse April 9th through 10th. According to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, registration is $65 per student plus additional fees for optional programs and activities.

“The store is really helpful for us in the grand scheme of things because instead of parents and students having to pay a hundred dollars plus for a state experience, this takes care of it,” FBLA and Trojan Corner Store advisor Nick Heiting said.

The majority of the members work twice a week or more. Some aren’t even FBLA members.

“It’s fun and I’m glad kids do it, but it’s a lot of time for them too,” Heiting said. “I guess kids just like the ‘I’m in charge’ aspect of working there.”

The students are in charge of almost all details of the store. Shrinkage and missing money are always probable when there’s great responsibility in the hands of students. However, this hasn’t been the case for the store.

“I really strive to talk to the students about the importance of it being their money, and needing to manage it with effective principles,” Heiting said.

Managing the store can be a challenge. Especially for store operator and freshmen Alana Luebke in charge of scheduling students to work.

“It’s definitely difficult when people talk to you at the last minute about not being able to work, but you just have to be aware that if that happens, you’re going to have to be the one taking their shift,” Alana said.

Nearly 15 students ranging from freshmen to seniors staff the store.

“It’s a great way to meet new people because when I schedule I don’t care who your friends are, I put you where I need you to be,” Alana said.

Besides making new friends with other students working at the store, workers like Maya Nolan are also able to interact with many students they’ve never seen or met before.

“It’s fun to hang out with friends and see new faces,” Maya said. “I’m seeing a large variety of the people that go to West and I’m understanding people more.”

It’s recommended students interested in working at the store join FBLA first. Yet this wasn’t the case for Linnea Bergman who ended up buying so much from the store she decided to help out and work there herself.

Linnea said, “I buy something whenever I’m at or by the store. It’s hard not to buy something from there.”