School Board Candidate Feature: Liz Heimerl-Rolland, Seat 5

Liz Heimerl-Rolland is running for seat 5 of the Wauwatosa School Board. She lives in Wauwatosa and her kids are attending or have graduated from Tosa Schools. Her background is in education and community engagement.

What is your connection to the Tosa community?

I have lived in Wauwatosa for 12 years. I love living here. There is a sense of community that I think is hard to find in other places. We are fortunate to be able to walk to a lot of restaurants, shops and parks, which makes Tosa a great place to live. I have been committed to volunteering in a lot of ways in the Tosa community. I’ve volunteered for the school district since Ethan (now a college Freshman) started at Lincoln Elementary. I was the PTO president twice at Lincoln and I led several committees there as well. I loved coaching Girls on the Run! Our family also volunteers, a lot, for the Tosa Farmer’s Market. 

What will you do to make sure that students’ input is heard on the school board?

I have met with two of the student representatives from the School Board and think that their input is incredibly valuable. Our district is unique in having these representatives. As a Board member, I will commit to meeting with various student groups and will make sure to respond to any student email or communication. Students are my priority and I will make decisions that put them first. 

What do you hope to bring to the school board? 

I hope to bring all of my past experiences to the School Board. I have an Early Childhood Education degree and I also received a Master’s degree in Community Engagement and Nonprofit Management. I have worked with students from 3K to 12th grade and also work with healthcare providers in their educational requirements. I have experience in violence prevention, conflict management, continuous process improvement and executing and leading various programs. I value public education and public schools, so I will work everyday as a Board member to make sure that students have everything they need to be successful. I am 100% student-centered and will make all decisions in their best interests. 

What do you think is the biggest challenge faced by the Wauwatosa School District?

I think the gaps between our highest achieving and lowest achieving students and schools. We also need to increase the achievement of our marginalized students. We need to do a better job at meeting all of our students where their needs are and making sure that each student and school has the resources needed to succeed. 

What made you want to run for school board?

I have served the Wauwatosa School District in many ways over the years, and when I saw that there would be 4 open seats, I thought that it would be a good time to consider running. I know that my background will make me a strong Board member, and my commitment to the students and staff in our district also shows that I will make decisions that are in their best interest. During my campaign, I have met with all stakeholders who’ve reached out to me, I’ve held “Meet Up Mondays” for the past 6 weeks to chat with anyone who wants to know more about me, I’ve been in every building and have met with all of the principals. I hope that I have shown the community that I value all voices and am always open to learning from people in our community. 

In your opinion, what has our school district/board done well? 

One of the most important roles of the School Board is to hire the superintendent. The School Board hired Dr. Means, who started in July 2021, and I think that he has done a great job building a strong team at the district office and also putting new systems and procedures in place that will make our school district stronger.

View Rolland’s campaign website here. View her opponent’s article here, and her opponent’s website here.

The Tosa Compass • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in